Saturday, March 8, 2008

Soap Box Chronicles-Standardized Testing

Alright folks, here it is, my opinion on standardized testing. As an educator in Texas all I do is test. This is actually the first year since I began my career, three years ago, that I have felt like a teacher and not a test proctor. That is the result of the state passing a law that states the maximum number of days students may be tested per school year.

What a sad commentary on our education system that the state has to pass a law against too much testing. Yes, standardized testing has a place in education and should not be discounted. It shows wonderful information such as student growth, and where a student is compared to other students in their demographic and age group. However, it should not be the only means of evaluating a students progress and most certainly should not be a means of teaching!

Not what you expected from a blonde!

No comments: