Sunday, July 27, 2008

The "M" Word

So my dear friend was watching Oprah the other day and was subjected to possibly the most ridiculous topic of discussion ever: midgets. If you have perused my blog previously you might be asking yourself at this point why I of all people would think midgets are ridiculous...I love midgets. In an obscure way. At any rate, back to Oprah and the issue at hand. As Oprah often does, she was hosting a little television show. On this particular show, the main guests were little people. It is very important that you notice that I say little people at this point, as we are about to learn a little lesson in political correctness. As it turns out, using the term midget is as offensive to little people as the "n" word is to African Americans. Well, that is just silly. Midget is the highest of compliments for a little person. There are far more derogatory terms that I could use. I could call a short person a munchkin or a gnome, that seems worse than midget. More over, dwarf was acceptable to the pygmy that appeared on Oprah. Tom Thumb isn't exactly a compliment. Gulliver's Travels has instituted the term Lilliputian, which seems worse than midget, pixie, or simply calling them a wee shadow of a person. In the thesaurus I found that a synonym for pocket portable people is actually trivial and unimportant. No one wants to be considered unimportant...I really feel that these little people should stick with midget, or possibly munchkin (I'm not really sure which one is the "m" word).

No comments: